Saturday, April 10, 2010

Quick Shrimp Salad

I love a hearty lettuce salad and could eat salad every day of the week.  For most people, that’s just a bit too much salad.  This is one of my quick favorites.

1 cup shelled pecans (crumbled)
1 pint cherry tomatoes sliced in half
1-2 cups peeled shrimp**
2 cucumbers
1-15 oz. can chick peas - garbanzos beans (rinsed in water
  and drained)

1 medium size sliced red onion (sliced)
1 bag dole field greens*
1 bag dole tender garden greens*
1 tsp granulated garlic power
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ cup margarine
1 tbsp old bay seasoning   
Ken’s Honey mustard salad dressing (lite)

*I enjoy a mix of lettuce & baby spinach in my salad.  Buying pre-washed bagged lettuce that are already mixed & include carrots, radish, and other treats saves me times. 

**You can substitute the shrimp with grilled salmon, grilled chicken, or any type of meat of your choice.  That’s what I love about salads, you can make them when your favorite ingredients.

You will need a large salad bowl.  Place, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, sliced red onions, and chick peas in salad bowl.  Sprinkle with garlic and black pepper.  Toss salad.

For shrimp, if you have a steamer; lucky you.  If not, bring a pot of water (approximately 1 cup) to boil, add margarine and shrimp.  Cook shrimp until pink.  Drain shrimp and add more margarine, old bay, garlic and pepper to taste.  Cool shrimp and top your salad with the shrimp.

  I use a variety of salad dressing; this time I used Ken’s Honey Mustard.  If you’re going to bother eating the salad, I strongly recommend that you go light on the dressing.  By light, I mean a small amount.  Drowning your salad in dressing adds unnecessary calories to your meal.

Speaking of calories.  This recipe doesn’t include calories, fat, sodium, etc… but soon each recipe will provide that information.  I am looking for a good website to help me with this information.  If you can recommend a site, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment